Brain/Mind as Broken Tool
OK! What happens is the brain can’t get over the anxiety, so the brain becomes like a broken tool trying to fix something… by… focusing on it and the worst case scenario’s- how to prevent them and fix the problem. The problem is that it, the brain, is a broken tool. It is like there used to be a worry free brain, let’s call it the high way; and now, instead of taking the highway or the strait shot roads, because you somehow got exited, are taking all these side roads AND getting virtually nowhere! Anxiety can ALSO be very very subtle, you don’t know you are venturing these side roads, you often think you are on the freeway or a main road and your NOT! THIS IS ANOTHER REASON WHY THE BELOW METHOD I’M ABOUT TO SHARE IS VITAL TO YOUR IMPROVED CONDITION. It is because the brain is/has been in an excited state and is learning a new habit of worry- much longer traveling paths and by ways.
You see, normally when you go to study something out in your mind and reason the best ways to go in life, you “think” you have it, the best way, the best plan. With anxiety, it develops so subtly that new neural pathways or “side-roads” (but actual brain connections) or habits are being generated [for problem solving]- basically we LEARN how to worry. It is vital to understand that the mind cannot entertain two things at once, so the solution will become as simple as can be and it related directly to this PRINCIPLE. Steven R. Covey once said that you can you can’t break a universal principle, you can only break yourself against them. Miss this principle and you’ll totally minimize what I get to share, this principle by a name. It is called The Linden Method. OK, back to the simple principle then of not being able to think about or entertain two things at the same time- yet it is then a very subtle difference to understand that anxiety comes by way of considering too much the worst case scenarios, pure and simple. THIS is the good news, you know why? BECAUSE what can be learned can often be un-learned OR better put in this instance a NEW way and NEW HIGHWAY can be LAID DOWN… IT IS ACTUAL NEW NEURAL PATHWAYS being generated.
(The trick becomes this and this next thing I’ll share is an extension, a setup to understand the extremes you’ll need to go through and to and in order to make this work. It is not my own little corner invention- it is called The Linden Method and 100’s of thousands have been CURED by it from ALL of the various forms of ANXIETY (ptsd, agoraphobia, generalized, ocd, panic attack, phobia… you name it… ALL of them!). It is like I’m not just talking about the new train tracks (highway sections) you’ll be laying down here and now in the short run, but those same tracks, while not any different, need a thorough understanding, nay COMMITMENT, in order to have the determination necessary that part of… beginning with the end in mind here, will consider that some places way off in the future will involve. In other words, that while the same train rails you’ll want to lay down in the here and now gain you instant success, the habit of the brain upon stressors that are hooked normally to the worry will challenge your commitment to the compliance of the program down the road. So, the problem is NOT getting success here and now, but when stressors come up in life, integrating the habits to totally and completely that one will utilize laying railroad tracks and NOT the side roads. Now, later… it will be on this or that steeper slope- do not be deceived by the shorter detours temptations then! If you do not follow the program compliance, to that degree you’ll have been tempted to lay down “your own tracks”- that will become new by ways, not highways associated with mostly or partially recovered vs. ALL THE WAY recovered. Make no bones, TOTAL recovery is our end in mind here with this program!)
Now, having said that (above paragraph in parenthesis), BUT the GOOD NEWS IS THIS! IT TAKES OFTEN ONE DAY, TWO DAYS OR PERHAPS ONLY A WEEK TO DISCOVER WHAT I’M ABOUT TO TELL YOU IS TRUE. IN OTHER WORDS YOU’LL DISCOVER SOME INSTANT SUCCESS WITH INSTANT RELIEF FROM THE ANXIOUS SENSATIONS. ONCE THIS HAPPENS, YOU CAN NEVER GO BACK. It is like high octane fuel jet that will ignite your heart and passion. Your soul will scream and some of not most will cry for the fact of this new found relief and the HOPE that it will then give. I’m not dropping off, the hope will come because… you’ll KNOW you can REPEAT what you just did to get the SAME RESULT. It will make many cry! Only this cry is one of RELIEF and HOPE!
OK, then, here is the bomb for total anxiety recovery! The Linden Method. I recommend that you go invest in it. The manual will give things in ways I’ve only encompassed by emphasizing commitment, which feels lame compared to the manual you’ll get, some addressing some, not a lot though, on the specific types and situations. For example, my situation has involved robbing me of morning sleep. In the manual he shares some things I did not get in his Fast Start videos that I was deceived in thinking that was all I needed because of the SIMPLENESS of the program principles, and it is “mainly”, but not all. There might be crucial elements in the manual you’ll need. BUT it comes with the program. Back in the day it was $95. Now, I don’t know, maybe $200. But here is some of it here, the BASIC principles. You ready? Here you go (these were my own notes):
The 9 Pillars of the Linden Method- Basic outline and some notes.
- Stop going to Doctors or Other People (use diversion to move away from it) (Play the part of an actor, the part of the non-anxious you; pretend you are someone else every morning when you wake up)
- Stop your medications. (Or any other thing that reminds you that you are ill, so need to eliminate all reminders that you are ill or have been etc.)
- Stop Researching your Condition– just once is once too often. (Adopt the behavior of those that don’t have an anxiety disorder; recovered sufferers go out and go on with their lives. It is of a disorder of itself, you are practicing being anxious; internet is the worst for this. Non-anxious people are out there doing the opposite. If you want to learn to be anxious, where do you go. You go to the normal world and can adopt their behaviors.)
- Only Follow This Method (Don’t confuse your brain, can confuse the signals; can’t use with other therapies, Linden Method needs absolutely everything you will need to make a full recovery, so don’t confuse the signals; if you do it correctly I promise you that you will become completely symptom free)
- Stop Talking about Your Condition (The cure is done through repetition, and NOT in talking about it. And Your Anxiety or stop reminding others your anxious, bad day or good day, stop any code messages to speak about it to those around you, give the support line a call at Linden method if you need some help. If you talk about how you feel, your symptoms, behaviors etc; you almost program yourself to become anxious. STOP NOW!)
- Stop Leaning on Other People– You send an unconscious message to your brain that you are weak (WHEN you rely on other people; you may feel week, but you are NOT week, your actually very strong. We often get so used to having other people helping us that we do not recognize that I’m getting other people doing for me things that I’m capable of doing for myself which is giving away “the carrot”, my control and my confidence. Taking responsibility is fast track to be anxiety free.)
- Don’t hold onto memories of your condition. (Play the part of you as the non-anxious person or way and it will become you. Role playing that your are someone else he mentions again here… and it will become you! Put replacement good memories in areas where you might have not had a good experience before- by avoiding those situations you’re reminding yourself subconsciously that you can’t do those things. Start making new memories and start to create a positive one, that we can almost blank out the negative ones.)
- Divert your mind. Force your subconscious mind to experience and environment of recovery; an environment where your amygdala says oh, wait a minute I’m not anxious anymore because there is nothing in my environment to be anxious of! Make it your new habit. A very healthy habit. Diversion, distraction. Because it is a human preset to get on with your life. The things you do as a default, you have to get back to, like eating, drinking, sleeping, etc. Create a structure in every day to drive the anxiety out. It means you can drive out the anxious behaviors every day. REPLACING with non-anxious habits. When we put only a little bit of effort into it anything in life success won’t occur. Put the energy into it that you’re going to expect it to occur. You’re not going to create one big diversion that is going to blow your anxiety out of the water, this is not going to occur. You have to use a collection of diversions that will allow you to become effective. Don’t choose things you think will work instead of doing what you enjoy. Needs to be personal to you, what you enjoy. Not asking you to be diverted every minute of every day. TV, only as your interested in what you’reing, so keep if focused and balanced.
- Stop accommodating Your Anxiety Every second that you give in to your anxiety, the symptoms, sensations and thoughts, your empowering it. Every time you give in you send a very very strong message to your subconscious mind, saying actually ya anxiety has got the power to change my life. It can dictate to me. And as soon as you reach that conclusion, you give it all the power it needs to completely envelop your life, to dominate you, in every way. Agrophobia is a perfect example of this, you limit your geographic location and movements because of your anxiety and your world becomes smaller and smaller until eventually you don’t go anywhere at all. So, stop accommodating the anxiety because it is completely powerless. Yes it produces some symptoms and thoughts and sensations that are unpleasant and sometimes quite severe, but ultimately there there to protect you, not to harm you in any way. Conclusion, breath, realization- SO STOP ACCOMMODATING THEM, stop accommodating those fears. And I promise you, if you do so, if you stop fearing it and start enjoying your life and getting out in the world, instead of allowing it to dominate where you go and what you do, you will overcome it all the quicker, and permanently. That is an absolute definite.
OK, back to the simple principle then of not being able to think about or entertain two things at the same time- yet it is then a very subtle difference to understand that anxiety comes by way of considering too much the worst case scenarios, pure and simple. Anything that can stop that from happening will be efficacious and my only basis for why I have one exception I’ve made for breaking rule number 4 of the Linden Method, to be explained at this website for breaking the habit of false beliefs involving others, other worst case scenarios- thework.com/en .
The other alternative: The other method that has merit in the mainstream world of steeped schooling theory [what counselors are mainly taught] to treat anxiety is by way of Exposure Therapy, often in the form of Systematic Desensitization. There has been some success with this. A percentage I think I heard somewhere was it can be 60% effective; where as The Linden team advocate a 100% success with their system I’ve heard some who have tried it and given up… such that I’d put it at a 80% success rate as my guess. But the principle is 100% for The Linden Method and some of this will become more apparent as we contrast it to and explain the one other prevailing theory I know about as mainstream. So, back to Systematic Desensitization.
A quick example is when somebody has phobias of snakes, they first create a safe feeling with somebody, that then first shows them for very brief exposure a picture of a snake in a safe environment. The helper then GRADUALLY exposes them to more and more occasions of snakes to where they become GRADUALLY comfortable first with pictures, then greater time duration of those things, all the way up to eventual full blow exposure of handling a live snake and not having any problems with it. While this can work with many phobias, the large category of anxiety disorders has a mixed success ratio, some will say of 50-60% success.
The problem with this method is this, that when anxiety has come to dominate a persons life, addressing it directly can be more like just stirs the poo and things do NOT get better, they can often get worse actually. Perhaps what decides if it can get better worse is IF the source of the anxiety, when it started, was it triggered by soemthing, that by unearthing it, and resolving it, things can now heal and mend and exposure might therefor be necessary. I admit this has some appeal. After all, we only need to have had a sliver in our precious skin to understand how, it is only when you ‘get it out’ or resolve the source of the pain, that you can even now expect things to get better. Even “flooding” as another concept of “exposure” seems relevant in that it might take “more pain” up front, on order to have less pain later on. Whether it is settling in our mind that we must be exposed to the very thing we are afraid of, in order to overcome that fear is used, one cannot deny that often the only way to beat fear in life, anxiety plagued or not, for that instant, is to confront it, after which much of the pain associated with it, can subside after swallowing the bitter pill to begin with.
The whole problem becomes with this and anxiety is this: More often than not, the source of anxiety cannot be tracked to its origin, thereby negating the “Initial Pain” exposure hypothesis of “Exposure Therapy” thereby even being efficacious. Indeed, inside the Linden manual it is this overarching and plaguing and vexing obsession for the anxiety victim to RESOLVE it, whether it be to return to what caused it or not… that forms the whole basis of needing to give up on that already, AS THE PROBLEM keeping it fueled! There is one overlapping caveat to all of this “excess avoidance” then of the problem inside the Linden Method that even it would concede is VERY HEALTHY to consider. And that is this… and Charles Linden addresses it time and time again… but let US couch this inside a distinction, Charles addresses the pain inside anxiety with the word “sensations”. He addresses the pain through a process not called “exposure” but WOULD HAVE anxiety victims address the pain or sensation, not through examining the source, but in “allowing” the sensations, NOT “avoiding” them, but “allowing” them… stating that they never did any harm to anyone. This is an exposure method to some extent… but let’s get clear, it is not exposure therapy, but reality based acknowledgement that when you do have them, to not assert the need or rather “one does not need to address them, but let them be, as in who cares, they can’t hurt you and have never hurt anyone”. However, he would have us employ diversion and distraction to “get away” from making them our friend as is customary to down play and crowd them out of our lives, thereby rewiring new hardware into our brain capable of feeling less and less and less of them until we have them no more.
So, as to “exposure therapy”, for those and it involves most all anxiety victims, as Charles asserts none will ever find the source of where and what caused the anxiety. It is like a behavioral science researcher said as he resigned from being a researcher… that the things for which the research applied for usefulness, involved such a small scope of things relating to real life, having to control for so many variables, applied to a narrow scope of life, so as to render as inapplicable to most of the experience we manage in life. It can be the same with anxiety, there are too many variables to control for in making sure the habit to help resolve the habit, that it just persists; as NOT all the variables can be accounted for to “make one feel safe” while being exposed in a gradual process to those worst case scenarios, when some of them, albeit too small a percentage in their life, actually eventuate.
Now an interesting twist here in perception: To emphasize how a small percentage of happening does apply to anxiety, the reverse can be taught. For example, one tactic that is quite effective is to ask in certain situations that cause stress what is the ACTUAL percentage of likelihood, that that particular worst case scenario would ever actually happen. Once it is quantified… the feared item loses its power… THEN to bring the person BACK to reality. So, minimizing and ‘getting away’ from the feared item is not altogether unrealistic, even as the odds tally things to be in reality. Make it your primary focus however, and you’ve done the opposite, given it “more power” than it had to begin with in actual reality.
To explore several helpful twists of perception in how this problem can be approached, I do advocate that the Bible for handling stress in the more generalized fashion or anxiety applying to the masses the problem of WORRY… to tackle and overcome, then I give unto you the Bible on how to overcome STRESS/WORRY: “How to Stop Worrying and Start Living” by Dale Carnegie.
So to me, exposure therapy, whether through flooding or systematic desensitization, it is like the fisherman in the rocking boat trying to get bate onto the hook. Until he could get the boat steadied, he would only continue to be frustrated and getting nowhere, and in many cases… worse off. Pursuing Systematic Desensitization for many people is like the rocking boat and IS that rocking boat. Until the NEW method is applied, talking about it just serves to make matters WORSE!
One is better off if needing to ascertain several dynamics in life that cause worry- to go to the bible mentioned above: “How to Stop Worrying and Start Living” by Dale Carnegie.
Often in life, it is the small calculations that matter the most. Making the decision to ‘get on with your life’ -as in The Linden Method’ just could prove your difference. As for me, it took all I had and then some! I end where I started, do it totally and completely in the beginning, ignore your sensations, they will not kill you. The presence of them does not spell doom, it just means you have more to do, so don’t stand their or sit there or lay their thinking about it, it will only get worse if you do. Do something, anything and everything that you can deem as worthy activities. A small add on for me is this. You can’t get happiness by doing things that violate your conscience, so keep it clean, but do all the those things that are pleasurable and right and good and wholesome and entertaining and the most important… interesting. Do this 24/7 and you will THRIVE!!! Try it and see! I have had success with somebody who had experienced anxiety for years and in a matter of two days he was stating he’s NEVER had the anxiety leave him like this before. It is VERY often INSTANT relief. This IS only part of it. (So, this is not an neat idea ‘you will also find’. Nothing gets this many raves unless something happened. Try it!!! You will then need to make new anxious/interests habits to keep yourself busy and away from all the old worry patterns AND habits. Think of social anxiety as a bad habit Linden says too in his book… get it and thrive… then you can put in all these new things in the place of it. You can’t think of two things at the same time idea. Go for it!!! For me it has made “the” difference!